The Classics Club List
The Classics Club is an online fun community which encourages reading the “classics.” Part of the fun is that it is relatively open: free to join, no hardline categories of what defines classic, no demand for reviews/participation. The other part of the fun is getting people encouraged to read classics – or, really, reading in general.
The main goal is to read at least 50 “classics” (by your own personal definition) within five years.
I decided to “join” (i.e. compile a list and resolve to read the books) because I feel like I am doing this sort of reading, anyway. Also, I love lists (DON’T LIE – YOU DO, TOO!) and book lists are the best kind!
- The Troll Garden – Willa Cather (1905) – [collection]
- The Old Man in the Corner – Baroness Orczy (1908) – [collection]
- The Italian – Ann Radcliffe (1797)
- The Long Ships – Frans G. Bengtsson (1943) – [Swedish novel]
- The Illustrated Man – Ray Bradbury (1951)
- Erewhon – Samuel Butler (1872)
- The Idiot – Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1869)
- The Lifted Veil – George Eliot (1859) – [novella]
- Vathek – William Beckford (1786)
- The Devil’s Elixirs – E.T.A. Hoffmann (1815)
- The Picture of Dorian Gray – Oscar Wilde (1890)
- Two on a Tower – Thomas Hardy (1882)
- Lord of the Flies – William Golding (1954)
- Terminations – Henry James (1895)
- The Neckace – Guy de Maupassant
- The Umbrella – Guy de Maupassant
- The Sailor who fell from Grace with the Sea – Yukio Mishima (1963)
- The Sirens of Titan – Kurt Vonnegut (1959)
- We Never Make Mistakes – Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (1963)
- The Good Soldier Švejk – Jaroslav Hasek (1930 – English / 1918 – Czech)